Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Night Before His Birthday ...

.... and I'm thinking about how it all will change. Life as we know it - the routine, the dynamics, the relationships - all of it. It couldn't be more exciting or terrifying.

I'm thinking about our summer and how it all, amazingly, came together just how I'd hoped. We visited friends and family, strengthened friendships here, and took a vacation to Disney and several "staycations" here at home. We didn't focus on homework - but on the quality time spent together at the pool and neighborhood goings on.

I'm wondering if (and how much) the children will remember. I hope they had the time of their lives. I have.

I'm realizing that God may have sent this baby to give me this summer. My slightly type A self may not have spent the summer the same way without the knowledge I had. I'm thankful I stopped to listen.

I'm preparing ... because while I know that Emma, Grayson, and Claire will be losing a little in terms of one on one time - I also know what they will gain in having another sibling. It means more of everything - squabbling, arguing, and hurt feelings - and giggling at night, playmates when neighbors are gone, and someone to help you learn to ride the big bus to school.

I'm struggling ... because I can't find the words to tell them what this will mean. I want to put it into words ... to prepare them ... to ease the transition. Instead, I just tell them how proud I am of them - that they are such great kids and such inspirations to us that we wanted our family to grow ... and that God agreed. How blessed we are. I hope that's enough.

3 comments:

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

I'm a bit teary after reading that! I so want to hug you and them! I'd throw one in for Monte too, just for good measure. I think it's a different ball game when you know what tomorrow holds, or at least have a rough idea. With the first one there is no way to know and after that most people just have it happen without knowing tomorrow is the day. This took me back to the night before Dax and then Finn. Reminds me a lot of how I felt before Finn came into this family.

You know, that God guy, he seems to have a pretty good handle on things! You will all just continue to grow...I don't want to say I told you so, but...I'm sure all those prayers didn't hurt either. You guys are an amazing family and I feel blessed to call you friends.

Love and Prayers,

Marci

Anonymous said...

<3 U Amy!! You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you all the best.
Love,
Leslie

ps...just finally figured out where your blog was after months of computer challlenges and lots of lost data. UGH!! I guess maybe now I will back things up once in a while...or not.

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

Of course it is. Love to all.