Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First Day of School - Grayson and Emma





.... and I didn't even cry. Yet. I can't believe it is Grayson's first day of Kindergarten and he is riding the bus. He'll be gone all day. He's eating pizza and green beans in the "cafetorium." He put his shoes on the right feet -all by himself. How his day goes is not at all dependent on how my day goes. Which is great. It also means his memories of today won't include much of me. I guess, that's also great. If you aren't a hormonal new mom.


Emma treated this morning as if she has going to a 9-5 job her entire life. Been there - done that. I know this is the honeymoon period but she completed her entire routine with no reminders and no complaining. It was as if she could sense our need for her to step up. Proud of you Em!


Claire took it better than I anticipated. She was more than excited to go to the bus stop but was a little whiney coming home with no bigger sibs. Cooper had his first stroller ride and enjoyed meeting the neighborhood kids. I even resisted the urge to wipe his whole self down with hand sanitizer when I got home.


What I realized when I got home was this - we did it. The kids went to bed last night, we had our first night with Cooper here, the sun came up, and with lots of help from Monte, we got 50% of our new brood on the school bus. Life went on - pretty much as expected. He fits right in.


Addendum: In the interest of full disclosure, we DID forget to pack the first day of Kindergarten snacks so Monte took them to the school office. Didn't want you to get the illusion that it was too smooth to be true!

No comments: