Saturday, January 31, 2009

Channeling My Inner Toddler

There are things I've done in the past week and I just can't explain the rationale behind them.

Those of you with toddlers - you can relate to this one. You know how you tell a child NOT to do something (run with a pencil for example) ... then provide them with the perfectly legitimate reason (it could hurt you)? What do they do then? Do it! Just to see what happens.

I did that this week. Lots of mommy blogs were abuzz with peanut butter recalls. There were people all over with their undies in a bundle - throwing out every food product with peanuts in it. Egads. I was NOT going to do it. I was NOT going to hit refresh every two minutes to see what new perils lay in my pantry.

What did I do? I opened and ate the peanut butter paste out of three packages of recalled crackers. Smart? Responsible? Probably not. But I had to see what happened. I was channeling my inner toddler.

Then ... there are things that have a good reason behind them ... but I shudder at the thought of doing them again. Why do them in the first place? Because someone challenged me.

I won't go into detail here ... but the challenges involved a spinning class (not so bad) and a ...
(here goes my PG rating again) ... waxing party (definitely worse than the spinning class).

Again ... I'm up for a challenge. But seriously ... I can't provide a better reason than... "She told me too." Which tells me I'm not yet equipped to parent children older than mine. Because I'm at a point in my life when I can relate to ...."But all the other kids are doing it."

There are no pictures to accompany this post. You should be glad of that. Noone wants to see the after-effects of spin class .... or the waxing party.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ok so i am the one laying on the peer pressure......but i totally agree w/ the waxing party...i just did it b/c someone challenged me !!!

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

Wow...I will need to hear this story animated sometime because I can only guess the Amy animation would have me rolling on the floor!