Saturday, March 22, 2008

It's a ............. (Drumroll please)............


wonder the doctor can make out ANYTHING in these ultrasound pictures. The five of us went to see the OB (who is fast approaching "cupcake status" in my eyes) and he went over as much of the baby as he could to determine if anything needed monitoring, further testing, etc. So far...so good.


The kids were less than thrilled with the quality of the ultrasound photos and despite my earlier warnings about "listening to the doctor" and "being respectful," Emma stated "It looks like a frog." In her defense, that particular shot did sort of resemble a .... OK, frog.


He asked them if they wanted to know if it was a boy or girl. They all nodded silently (hard to enunciate clearly when you have dum-dums stuffed in your mouth - I think it is the doc's subtle way of keeping them quiet).


When he announced it was a BOY, all three of them were suspicously quiet. No sobs or loud complaints from the girls - no fist pumping "YES" from the boy. Hmmm....not what I expected.


So, on the way to Dunkin' Donuts for a celebratory something, I asked all of them "How did the doctor know it was a boy? No response.


"What do you think he saw that made him think it was a boy?" Finally - Grayson's eyes lit up. "I know - the baby had a Power Ranger action figure!" Nope. Well, sort of.


I tried one final tactic to clarify this important distinction. "OK - when you take a bath - what does the boy have that a girl doesn't have?" Silence in the car for a moment - then Emma's face got all scrunched up - like when she sees a mushroom. "EWWWWW." I knew she'd gotten it.


"The doctor can see the baby's _________?" "Yes," I say, feeling relieved that I hadn't completely failed as a parent.


"You mean the baby is naked in there?" Sigh.


So - it is a boy - healthy looking so far - we are very excited - and obviously have some educating to do around here =).


By the way, if you can't decipher the picture - I'll describe it to you as the doc did to me. "On the left is the buttocks. Top and bottom are the legs. In the middle is "the brain." Or, as Claire puts it, "the wenis."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ewwww! I don't like mushrooms either! But I do love me some baby boys! Congrats Savages. Can't wait to meet the lil' guy.
Lisa

Sarah said...

Ohmygosh. I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. The "wenis" comment really has me all choked up. Now that we know what we think you're having, how about some names? Like Kermit... because it's a frog, right?

Unknown said...

Yahooo!!!!! There's another one for the guys!! I'm soooooo happy for you guys....and miss you lots too!! Thanks again for the blogs... I check in every few weeks and love every word of it! Keep up the amazing job Amy!

All my love!

Dale

Rebecca Lily said...

YAY! YAY! It's a BOY for the Savages!!!! Grayson is going to LOVE IT! (So will everyone else!) Congratulations to the whole family! What a hilarious story. My Claire was mad when she found out Grant was a boy. She fell on the floor and said "Oh NO MAMA!" and started crying. LOL.

I'm so excited for you all!

Love, Rebecca

Anonymous said...

AMY!! i am so happy for you guys. I read your blogs regularly but this one choked me up more than usual. ITS A BOY!!!

Love you all
Shelby