Monday, December 10, 2007

The Power of Music....

Later tonight, my friend and I will take seven first graders to carol at the skilled nursing facility where I work. We are taking personally made placemats, treat bags and home made cookies. No doubt, the residents will love all of those things. However, what I think the residents will like most of all is two-fold. They will love the faces of these girls. Our Brownies are excited, energetic, spirited, and gorgeous. Yes, "spirited" is often code for somewhat naughty.
These girls will be doing some singing. I think that is what the residents will remember for days to come. Why? Because music is powerful. We instictively know that. We sing to our babies when they are minutes old. We use lullabies to calm and soothe. Music therapy is widely used in rehab facilities and hospitals to speed healing. This season, two songs are listened to over and over again in my house. Do yourself a favor and click on them. They are listed as videos on the far right hand sidebar. You may have to scroll down a bit. If you are a parent or soon to be one, you will appreciate what Mark Harris has to say. If you appreciate a beautiful hymn, check out Amazing Grace. I just saw the movie too - worth renting to see the story behind the song.
My friend Amy just sent me this - I will put the link here. It is great. It is a humorous Christmas collection sung a capella by the Indiana University Men's Choir. Go Hoosiers!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fe11OlMiz8

1 comment:

Rebecca Lily said...

Yay!! Comments!!! :)

I agree, music is powerful. A scary movie isn't scary without the scary music. And an emotional moment in a movie isn't emotional without the emotional music!! Know what I mean???

I hope you guys had a great time caroling tonight. What a wonderful way to spread cheer and the spirit of Christmas!!!

Hugs from us!!

Rebecca