Thursday, December 13, 2007

Perspective

So, lately, a few things have happened that have given me a lot to think about. Maybe it is the time of year, maybe the weather - I don't know.
First off, the Brownie girls did an AMAZING job at the nursing home. (When I get all the privacy waivers signed, I will post a tear jerking video of them singing - Kleenex alert!) I have had so many compliments on their behavior, their gifts and their smiles. I expected compliments from the staff. I got a few. I didn't expect any from the residents. I got so many.
Folks that I didn't expect to even acknowledge us - recognized me later and initiated conversation. Non-verbal folks smile at me now and point to their ornaments we made. The Alzheimer's unit ladies carefully put out the placemats every day - and sometimes fight over the ones at their seats!
I underestimated our effect on those lovely people. We spent just an hour or so there. The sparks in their demeanors suggest we make it a regular event. What little effort has been so rewarded. Perspective.
Second - I have been working a bit at Emma's school with the kiddos that require a bit more intensive therapy. As I walked down the halls, the artwork of all the students in the school makes me stop evey time. I am amazed at what those elementary students can do. Today - those paled in comparison to a little guy grabbing my hand, looking into my eyes, and requesting "cookie." Twice. Perspective.
Third - a friend of mine called with prayer requests for friends of ours whose parents are facing disease and/or end-stages of life. Immediately prior to her call, I had been standing in my room being pissy. I had nothing to wear, this doesn't fit right, etc. Perspective.
Just something to think about. Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God will use us, each and everyone, if we just let Him!!!