Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Guess Who's Tying His Shoes?!?





This is the kind of thing that breaks a mother's heart. It also inspires her to act. Quickly.


While volunteering in his classroom, I witnessed Grayson asking his teacher to work with him again on tying his shoes during recess. Let me pause for effect. DURING RECESS. AGAIN.
I had no idea it was that big of a thing to him. I felt this big (picture me doing that little thing with my thumb and index finger).

So ... last night God smiled on me and soccer practice was cancelled so ... we worked it in.
In all honesty, I really thought it was going to be some big, awful, dreadfully frustrating event - I vividly recall teaching him to write his name - so I enlisted Monte to help. Turns out - him helping is not all that different than me doing it. But ... to our surprise ... Grayson got it fairly quickly. He was motivated. He was excited. So were we. We actually went to the grocery store and bought ice cream - that's what a big deal it was.

He probably doesn't remember how to do it today ... but that's why I blog. Because if I wasn't fully present in the moment - I can go back and remember how the little things do really mean so much.

1 comment:

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

I think that is a feat worthy of some ice cream. Way to go Grayson!