Friday, September 5, 2008

Circus Missions and Mutual of Obama

This week, the girls have each said something that has made me chuckle.

Claire has watched with great interest Cooper's more "delicate" area - and the bandages that needed changing after his "procedure." She asked us repeatedly what had happened to give him that "owie." We told her he had a circumcision and patted ourselves on the back for not flinching or giggling and being grown up about the whole thing. A little while after the area had healed, Claire told me that she was glad her baby doll was a girl. When I asked her why - she told me she didn't ever have to have a "circus mission."

Emma got out of bed for something last night and came into our room while I was watching John McCain's speech at the RNC. Just when I thought she was sleep-walking again, she said, "Is that John McCain?" "Yes" I replied - a little shocked. "Do you know who he is?" I asked. She looked at me very sternly and asked who I was voting for. I asked her who she thought I should vote for. She told me she had voted for Hillary (at the end of her first grade year) but she had been "kicked out of the election." She then informed me that I definitely had to vote for Barack Obama. While I was recovering from the fact that she had correctly used all three candidates' names in a very adult-like conversation, she put her hands on her hips and told me, "Barack Obama has his own show on Animal Planet and it's one of my FAVORITES. That's why you have to vote for him."

Well, I admit it took me a minute or two to process that. Maybe it was a little bit of sleep deprivation but I just wasn't getting it. Obama? Animal Planet? I asked for clarification.

"Mom - you know - Wild Kingdom!"

Lightbulb! Mutual of Omaha.

I say Omaha - You say Obama. I did explain the difference to her - but I don't think she believes me.

2 comments:

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

Thanks for the giggle!

Gotta love the things that come out of their mouths!! Maybe you should send Emma to Intern as a political commentator, at least she'd make it fun!

We need more Cooper pictures! Just a request...

Sarah said...

OH MY... a circus mission. I think that ones is going to keep me giggling all day long!