Friday, May 23, 2008

Happy "Retirement" Janet!!!!

I'm a little bummed today. One of my closest friends is making a major life change and I would love to be there with her to celebrate it. I'll have to settle for taking her out to dinner and a blue thing (our code for those yummy blue margaritas at Chilis) when I am in town next month. If I could be there, this is what I would say, while blubbering more than a few tears...

"I remember the first time I met you in the 150 office - thinking "Who is the chic in the purple tunic and animal print pants? SHE'S the school psychologist? What kind of district have I gotten myself into?" Little did I know then how much your personal and professional demeanor (not to mention your fashion sense) would influence me and my oldest child.

We pretty quickly fell into an easy working relationship. We didn't always agree but I always respected your opinion and filed it away - knowing that chances are, you'd end up being right. Thanks for never rubbing that in.

I've never met anything with such a sixth sense about kids. Or grownups. You seemed to know, or at least suspect, things about people way before I did. Again, I learned to trust your judgement.

Professionally, you have always been a mentor. Along the way, you became a sister I wasn't born with. A friend I could trust with thoughts, feelings, etc. You were there for all three children being born. The kids consider you an aunt. I couldn't love or value you any more than I do.

So - this "retirement" thing gets mixed reviews from me. You deserve a bit more personal time to do the many other things you are talented in. And I can't wait for you to come visit us and get to stay a while. Then I think of the kids .... and the team ..... who won't get the same chance I was lucky enough to have.

You will be missed. Have a blue thing for me my friend. Love you. Happy Retirement.

1 comment:

Rebecca Lily said...

Such a sweet tribute, Amy!! You had me crying, and I don't even know Janet!! :)

Rebecca