Thursday, November 6, 2008

I'm Soooooooo Glad It's Over ...

the election that is. Yes, I am aware and proud that I and my family have witnessed the history making election of our first African American president. It demonstrates how far we have come as a nation. I believe we also have just as far to go. Still, I am so done with this campaign.

Why???

I'd like my kids to go back to being kids. Emma (being in second grade) first started hearing about McCain and Obama in kindergarten. A big thank you to our local schools for keeping the students abreast on current events, but enough already. I'm done explaining what stem cell research means, where Vietnam is and what "torture" and "POW" mean. The under 8 crowd (in my humble opinion) doesn't really need to know what "affiliation with terrorist groups" means.

I'm exhausted by attempting to explain what taxes are and breaking up disagreements between Girl Scouts and neighborhood kiddos who think they know which candidates will raise them or lower them. I've assured many a child that the results of the election will not have an impact on their piggy banks in the forseeable future.

My oldest two actually asked me if our family qualifies as "middle class." Heavens.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for educated, well-informed children. But seriously. I was sort of hoping we'd have a few more years of being called "poopyhead" and "doggiebreath" instead of "liberal" and "conservative."

Congratulations to president-elect Barack Obama. Now let's get on with it.

2 comments:

Rebecca Lily said...

I so hear you!!

I'm glad it's over... so I don't have to hear any more of those STUPID CAMPAIGN ADS!!!!!!!

I'm a bit sad that our great state went blue, though. :(

Myah said...

I am with you a bit. I am very excited about the results, but now I'm ready to see him in action.