Monday, January 21, 2008

Thoughts on Martin Luther King Day and First Grade Equality



Watching the Democratic debates on TV tonight, it was apparent to me how far this nation has come since Dr. King's infamous speech. It was equally apparent how far we have to go.


All of the kids's schools touched on Dr. King and his invaluable contributions to society. When Emma brought her report home, we touched on the content. She can't quite wrap her head around the injustice Rosa Parks endured. As we discussed it, I vividly recalled feeling exactly the same way.


This is her version of Dr. King's biography. I hope you can read it. She told me she mentions Rosa Parks because "anybody should be able to sit anywhere they want on the school bus - and nobody should have to sit next to a boy if they don't want to."

1 comment:

Rebecca Lily said...

I LOVE LOVE her writing. I couldn't help but laugh... but I was so touched at the same time. You know how you read things your kids write and you're trying not to smile because it's serious? :)