Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sometimes things just sneak up on you...

A few funny things have happened to us today - so naturally, I sat down to blog about them - thinking you all might appreciate them, being moms or soon to be moms yourselves.

It wouldn't come. Honestly, the words would. not. form.

I know why. I was just trying to ignore it.

I miss my friend today. She's been gone almost three years, so it's not like I talk to her regularly (at least not in person). I don't even live in the same house (or state) as I did when we were friends.

I can't say we were best friends or closest confidantes. In fact, we really got to be better friends due to insomnia. I was always awake feeding babies and she often couldn't sleep due to pain and/or effects of chemo. The deal was, we would each turn on our porchlights at night (or sometimes early in the morning) if we were awake. If one saw the other, it was safe to come over and turn on the coffee pot.

I was a new mom - she was more experienced. I was a cryer. She was not. She was cute, blond, and tiny. Me - not so much. Different in so many ways. At the time, I wondered what the connection was and why.

I don't wonder anymore. Because of her, I now have an "extended family" that includes some of the greatest people I have the privilege of knowing. Funny thing is - they are all on her husband's side. I have called on each and every one of them for something in my life. Her niece became our closest and most trusted babysitter. She is now in college and still providing a role model for my girls. Her two kids are as close to my heart as a niece and nephew. I pray daily for them and miss them like crazy. Her husband - well - I never had an older brother before- but if you were to roll up a big brother and a great friend - that's what you would come up with.

Big things are on the horizon for her family. I think that is why she has been in my heart and mind today. I know she's ready. I think I am too.

But boy, do I wish that porchlight would turn back on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So...I started thinking what fun things are Amy and the kids up to today...should have put a kleenex warning up there! You know, it's funny, only through you do I know these people, but I find myself often wondering how they're doing!

Anonymous said...

Amy, I love you site, and all the pictures. I miss all of you. Emma is looking so grown up. Tell Marci we are all doing fine. There are many things that I miss about that time in our lives and still today I reflect on the time my family had the best neighbors ever. My family regularly asks about you and wonder how you all are. I enjoyed hearing from you the other day. Take care, Nick