Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Things to Remember in 2008

Here it is - another year and another chance to do things just a little differently (if there is room for improvement). We are two days into 2008 and I feel I am already slipping! So - I figure if I type these things out - I will convert these messages to "muscle memory" -thereby securing space in my long term memory. Here it goes...

1. God is in control. For me, definitely the hardest one. I tend to only "let Him attempt" to control things when things are not going "as planned." I guess, when things are going well, I am the one who wants to take the credit. Oh boy. I'll bet He thinks I may never learn. I'm trying.

2. Celebrate the differences - in our friends, family, and complete strangers. Because of our interest in international adoption, I have met so many great people and read such inspiring stories. Not everyone makes the same choices in this life - but isn't that what makes it so beautiful?

3. Change is the new black - At least for us. Change is not easy for me - but I am learning to roll with it. See #1. See #2. This year, I may even learn to embrace it. Hey, anything can happen!

4. It just doesn't get any better than this. We are happy, healthy, and together. We are living the life intended for us. It is the mantra I intend to pass to my children this year.

5. Take a chance! For this particular control freak, taking a chance (risk), is right up there with change. Ironically, this is what I most want for my children. So, I must learn to live it a bit more. I figure, if I really believe in #1-4, #5 is a given.

It won't "come naturally" or be second nature, but these are so ultimately more important than losing ten pounds or going to bed earlier. By the way, if I haven't succeeded in doing these for the past five years, it probably isn't going to happen anyway. OK 2008 - I'm ready for you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love these! And I love that they come from you! If only we could have had you read these out loud and record your comments after reading them this time last year so we could add that to the blog, it would have made it oh so much better! What a difference a year makes! I had no doubt you'd get right where you are! Happy New Year!