Sunday, October 26, 2008

Six Events, Five Hours, and Several Life Lessons Later...




Emma participated in her first swim meet. She swims for SWAC. That is a bit of a story in itself and one I will think back on because it was an incredible teaching moment. From the parenting perspective.


Emma started out the summer comfortable in the water but didn't have any "strokes" to speak of. She also wasn't diving in off the side or from the board. She was a functional, "not- going -to- drown- so -I -can- take- my- eyes -off- of -her -for -one- minute -to -take- the -little -one to- the -bathroom" kind of kid at the local pools. Grayson was very much the same way but since he is younger, shorter, and more adventurous, I decided it might be prudent for him to take some lessons. I signed them both up for six lesson with a local lifeguard.


They really enjoyed themselves (it could have been the candy she gave them at the end of each session) and Emma later took an Intro to Competitive Swimming Class at school. She and a friend wanted to try out for SWAC. Here's where it got hard. For me anyway.


SWAC is a fairly competitive club. It requires a significant commitment in terms of time, money, and effort. Not everyone makes it. You have to try out. No matter how old you are.


I struggled with the decision to let her try out. Emma is not competitive. She is not athletic. She had just started swimming strokes weeks prior to the tryout. I knew the odds were not in her favor. So. If you know, as a parent, that your 7 year old probably will not make the team (and conceivably - her friend might), do you encourage her to try out anyway?


In theory, OF COURSE you do. It fosters a sense of reality - you don't always make every team. It teaches your child to be graceful and accept when things don't go their way. Of course.


However, I am here to tell you. When actually faced with it ... it gave me pause. Cognitively, I knew it would be good for her either way. But emotionally, I knew it would really hurt if she didn't make it. And Emma ... well, she tends to have a flair for the dramatic.


Ultimately, I encourage her to try out. She and her friend went and did the best they could. They didn't make the team. I was really proud of them. They handled themselves well and while disappointed, they made plans to swim for another local club.


Then, a few weeks later, there were openings and both of them received calls back. It took Emma a minute to decide to try it out. One practice and she was excited. She was motivated.


I think it's been about four weeks since she's been part of the team. This meet was optional. Again - same fear. Do I let her do it knowing she is less prepared than most? Of course. But ... part of me still wants to protect her. Shield her.


Then I channel my inner Glenn Beck and decide. That's not reality. That's not the kind of parents we want to be. That's not the kid we want her to be. So ... off she went yesterday. She swam six events - a 25 each of backstroke, breaststroke, freestyle and butterfly - a 100 IM, and a relay.


No .. she wasn't the fastest. Or the most technically skilled. But she impressed us. She held her own and finished well in her heats. We are immensely proud of her. Both for how she swam and how she has handled herself in learning some really important life lessons. Most importantly though - I can tell she is proud of herself.

No comments: