Saturday, October 11, 2008

Claire's 4th Birthday Bash






Now that you've seen the pictures and BEFORE you think we are "one of those over-the-top, uber-indulgent parenting types" - let me explain. Claire has never had a birthday party that included friends. I know ... she's turning FOUR. How many opportunities has she really had?


Well, remember ... she is the third one ... and until very recently, the baby. That meant she got the shaft. I admit it. Emma was first and coincidentally ... so is her birthday (in the calendar year). She always had a fun party with family and a few neighborhood kids. Nothing elaborate but she got to invite a few friends.


A few months later, Grayson's birthday comes along. We are still into it so we let him do the same thing - maybe a little less "to-do" - because he's a boy and really doesn't care much for the fanfare - just bring on the presents. Family, a few friends, and a piece of cake goes a long way with him.


By the time of year October rolls around, school has started, we are typically still adjusting to the demands of the new routines, and let's face it - I'm a little birthday'd out. So I took advantage. She was too young to notice there were no "friends" at her party so I just let it go. I'm not proud. I'm just keeping it real here friends.


This year, it all caught up to me. She has been to several of her friends' parties. They all have mommies who aren't giving their kid the shaft because she's the third one with the birthday latest in the year. She knows about inviting friends. She's not holding it against me - she's just letting me know the buck stopped ... last year.


The colossal jumpy castle was the culmination of a few things - I had a little mommy guilt and I couldn't come up with a better idea at the last minute. The way I figure it, she had a GREAT time and it will be a few years before she'll be able to pull this up, read it, and learn the truth.


Anyway, we had seven of her closest friends (i.e., all the girls in her class plus a best neighbor girl) over to jump, feed the ducks, play on the swingset, and open presents after a piece of chocolate princess cake and chocolate chip ice cream. The weather was perfect, the guests were cute as anything, and hostess was elated. Heck, Daddy even threw in a few extra dollars for the princess dress on the cake to light up.


At the end of the day (after all the adults and kids in the neighborhood had climbed in and relived their childhoods), she told me it was "the best day ever." I hope, for her, it was.

3 comments:

Rebecca Lily said...

OMG. You did NOT rent a giant inflatable castle for your backyard!! Way to go Amy for making the rest of us feel like bad moms!!! :)

Teresa said...

Amy ~

Claire had the perfect princess party! She was able to play in her castle with her friends, feed the swans (ok ducks for the most part in IN), swing as high as her little legs would take her, open gifts and top it all of with chocolate ~ what little girl wouldn't think this was the most perfect day of her life! Great job and thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures as well:)

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

I totally laughed when I started reading because the exact thought in my head was "Amy! You move to Indiana and you become one of those moms? The ones we used to make fun of late at night?" Good justification, we hope Claire had a great day! And you know, we're just jealous cause the bouncy house won't fit in our backyard...