Wednesday, October 29, 2008

And It All Circles Round ...

I woke up this morning thinking some fairly deep thoughts. For instance, how much I enjoy babies sleeping until 5:00 am. I don't feel the same way about 3:30. But somehow, 5:00 seems a more humane hour to wake up, feed a baby, let the dog out, and climb back into bed, knowing you still have a few more hours to go until the rest of the house wakes up.

This morning, I remembered doing the same thing 7 1/2 years ago - but with Emma ... and a different house ... and a different dog. Funny the things you remember ... and that life always seems to circle its way around.

For me, my professional life (such as it is right now - can less than 10 hours a week be considered a professional life?) is circling around too. For those of you who knew me immediately after grad school, you may recall that the only arena I did NOT want to practice in was early intervention or the 0-3 population. You may also recall that oddly, that is EXACTLY what I took my first job in - in an unfamiliar place called Milwaukee, WI. A place I had never actually visited before I took a job I had no business taking. And life circles around...

Anyway, here I am back doing early intervention in Hoosierville. I only have four clients right now but I am loving it. I'm back to doing something I really find value in. I enjoy going to work - an hour at a time - at a time and place mutually agreed upon by the family and me. They actually enjoy me coming and I feel like I am helping both the child and family. It's what I was doing (partly) right before I left Milwaukee - not long before Emma was born. So here I am again - treating little ones, rising early with a little one of my own, and letting out the dog at 5:00 am.

And it all circles round.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

What your saying is so true ~ it does seem to circle back around. I remember getting up in the middle of the night with Daniel and Jordan then counting the hours I had left to sleep. When Nicholas came along it was different, I remember enjoying every bit of quiet time, rocking and feeding him and looking down at his smiling little face in the moon light ~ it was perfect and so peaceful! I am now thinking what it will be like when we're rocking Gabriella during the night when she is adjusting to her new life, family and sleep schedule. One thing I know for sure, as I'm now 40, we will have quite a comfy rocking chair in her nursery:) Also, I have to agree, there is something special about going to work and helping that 0-3 population ~ they are a very special group that can tug at your heart...and a group that you are blessing more than you will ever know:)

Myah said...

I find myself journaling about the same things. My friends will call me out - Didn't I read this before? It seems to all circle around.