Monday, June 30, 2008

We are Home ....

Whew! We did it! Ten nights of vacation bible school, including both of our "home" churches - here in Indiana and in Illinois.

Once again, Whitney (and Mark) graciously hosted us so the kids could get together with their old friends and so could I. I fully realize we are a lot of work and that six kids can be difficult to navigate through the week with bathing, meals, and bedtime. Did I mention all four girls - ages 8,7,6 and 3 - slept in one room? And that the two boys are virtual twins at 5 years old?

Yet, it all went so smoothly. I guess that's just the way it goes when you feel like you're at home. Both at church and at their house, that's just the way it feels. What a complete blessing it is to have places and friends that make it feel as though you've never left.

A few people asked me where "home" is this week. That one is tough to answer. For us - it is not just one place. Milwaukee will always be homelike because of where we started. That is where we met, lived, and bought our first home. The city, food, and people are all pretty spectacular. I still get the chills driving toward the lake and seeing the skyline.

Morton, too, will always be home because of the kids. Three kids were born there and I have "sisters" there. Lifelong relations will continue with that town because of who is there.

Fort Wayne is home too. I didn't know if and when I would ever call it that, but I definitely can. Thanks to a handful of great neighbors, an active church, and two friends who have brought us into the fold, we are very plugged in. I missed it while we were gone.

In some good heart to heart chats with friends this week, I realized how several times, Monte and I have come through something difficult - only to make it to the other side - more fortunate for the experience. It has never been easy to leave a "home" - we have always shed tears and mourned the loss of our comfort zones. And ... at times we have envied those who live their entire lived in a single town. Yet - I can honestly say - we have been the better for each - each and every time. Home is where we happen to be - because as long as I have my husband, my kids, my cell phone, and a car with GPS that can get me to Illinois, Wisconsin, or Indiana - I'm happy.

1 comment:

Rebecca Lily said...

Amen girl!! I have been happy every single place we've lived. It's family that makes it home. :)

Glad you made it through VBS! I am tired just reading about it. :)

R