Friday, February 15, 2008

Science Fair, Claire updates, and NIU


Emma entered the science fair this year for the first time and I don't know who learned more - her or I. Her topic was her own idea and every time I say it, it makes me giggle - "Which of my favorite foods float?" She loves her "outstanding ribbon" because it is red and she got it on Valentine's Day. That's really all she cares about. I hope it stays that way.


By the way, Claire is recognizable again. Her swelling has gone down and with the help of Benadryl and frequent bathing in Aveeno, she hasn't itched too much. She has taken one (double) dose of the Z-pack the doc prescribed her and has fared pretty well. She has an ENT appt. next week. I am hoping the doc sees things my way =).


Throughout this pretty brief ordeal, Monte and I have been struck by just how painful it is to be powerless when your baby is hurting. You know what it feels like to know - with absolute certainty - that you would jump on a landmine for another person (or three). Scary stuff.


Speaking of scary stuff, I am a bit beside myself over this latest school shooting. Normally, these things seem to be "in other peoples' backyards" in a distant state. Not so this time. Monte attended grad school there and I was accepted to grad school there. I ended up somewhere else but both of us have been to that campus - many times. Sometimes together. We particulary like the beer nuggets at Sargeant Pepper's. Yen Ching is the best chinese food going. You know - it's a normal, safe, midwestern campus. I am thinking, for maybe the first time, that it really can happen anywhere. Praying for the families out there facing far worse things than allergic reactions and messy rooms....


1 comment:

Rebecca Lily said...

Glad to see that you guys are doing ok - especially little Claire, poor baby!!! And Emma's science fair project looks GREAT!!! The subject matter is very clever. :) Congrats to her on her outstanding ribbon!!

Rebecca