Monday, March 23, 2009

On the 8th day, God created ....
















girls' weekends. I'm sure of it.


I just returned from a great example of what girls need to rest and rejuvenate. My husband arranged for me to spend some time in Milwaukee with some girls I used to work with when we lived there. It has been almost nine years since I moved away, but I wasn't worried. With this group, we have an uncanny ability to pick up right where we left off. I consider it an indication of true friendship. Well, that ... and the fact that they relish a good fish fry and cocktail as much as I do. It is Wisconsin after all.




It was a wonderful 48 hours ... packed with fish fry at Trocadero, a relaxing stroll around Cedarburg (one of my favorite little towns on the north shore), an open house at Cedar Creek Winery, shopping at Bayshore mall, and fantastic food all along the way. Not to mention cosmopolitans and pomegranate martinis....





Did I mention the hotel room? Adjoining rooms with FOUR full sized -sleep number beds. With no husbands, no kids, and no pets taking up space or covers. Wowee! That ALONE would have been nirvana for this mama. But it got better! Add in a pool, hot-tub, and a fridge stocked full of wine, crackers, CHEESE (you just knew that was coming didn't you?) and uninterrupted girl talk. Ahhhhh.... heaven.



We topped it off with brunch at Lake Park Bistro. Despite living in that area for eight years, it was my first time there. After eating all weekend, I wasn't sure I would fully appreciate the food or experience so I suggested we skip it. The girls wouldn't hear of it. I'm so glad they insisted. The bistro overlooks Lake Michigan and that body of water on a sunny day still takes my breath away. The cuisine is French, the waitstaff is wonderful, and the flavors are divine. So are the mimosas. If you're ever in town ... I highly recommend it.




It was hard to leave. Really hard. Milwaukee is a great place to live. Even greater place to visit. So much to see and do ... especially without the kids. But I missed the kids ... and the great guy who sent me to see my friends. And stayed home with all four. On our anniversary. So, after flipping a coin, I came home.




The good news? I didn't get to see it all. And since it only takes 3 hours and 45 minutes to get there from here (if you don't stop and Chicago traffic is light), I'll probably get to go back again.



Monte, thank you. Love you. Lori, Amy, Ann, and Cathy - thank you. Love you too. Let's not make it so long until next time.










1 comment:

Teresa said...

You go girl!! I'm thrilled that you were able to have a girls trip ~ they are the best!! It's funny I'm reading this today as while our little group was out to lunch today we solidified our girls trip to FL in Sept ~ we can't wait! I hope you can return for a repeat trip LONG before nine years:)