Tuesday, March 10, 2009

How Cool Is Covington???

I love my kids' elementary school. Seriously. Love it.

It currently has 734 enrolled children ages 5th grade down to kindergarten. That's roughly equivalent to half of my hometown. It was very daunting when we first moved here.

It doesn't feel quite that large anymore. Because of reasons like this.

Yesterday, I was in the office writing ANOTHER check for lunch money. I get to do that every time a brightly colored, typewritten piece of paper labelled "cafetorium" shows up in either backpack.

The art teacher (who is SUPER) recognized me and mentioned she was surprised Emma was only signed up for one "enrichment" class. Enrichment classes are fantastic short-courses in just about everything the kids have the option of attending after school. Everything from fun foods to fly fishing to foreign language to bunco. No kidding.

I told her Emma simply couldn't narrow it down to below six (which would have cost about $200.00) so I had simply chosen ONE for her. But how nice of her to notice.

She volunteered that only one other second grader was signed up for "Italian Street Painting." Ironically, that little person is a good friend of Emma's. Wouldn't it be cool if they did it together? Indeed.

I mentioned it to Emma. She's all signed up. And elated. About learning how to "paint Italian street murals." Per the syllabus.

I think I just shelled out $10.00 for Emma and her friend to sidewalk chalk while being supervised by the art teacher.

The things we do for love. And super-cool elementary schools. And art teachers who remember both you AND your kid.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Bunco? What dat? So... I google Bunco. Oh. Humm. A class for a dice game? I'd choose sidewalk chalk class too.

Teresa said...

Covington is AWESOME!! Many of the teachers at Covington came from Whispering Meadows and they are wonderful!! True professionals doing what they love to do:) Our boys loved Mr. B and Mrs Y:) Y