Friday, March 13, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!!!


Other than turning another year older, yesterday was a pretty great day. I woke up and made a conscious decision NOT to focus on inching closer to the big 4-0. Instead, I remembered something a former patient once told me about how he celebrated every birthday - up into the 80's (he never did tell me how old he actually was). His advice? "Every year on your birthday, TAKE STOCK. Think GENERALLY about all the things you've accomplished in your lifetime ... then think SPECIFICALLY about the things you've done just in the past 365 days."


So, I took stock. When I actually took the time to think about the new experiences, great friends, and new baby that have come into my life this year, I was so humbled and grateful God blessed me with these past 12 months.


I got to see four of the cutest little kiddos on my caseload. I listened as my kindergarten boy read me five books all by himself. I ran five miles on the treadmill (a new personal best). I relished in my homemade cards from my kids (and one from Claire's BFF as well). I started on a list of songs I want on my new Ipod shuffle. And ... I started on my application to volunteer for Operation Smile. It's been something I have ALWAYS wanted to do. It was so inspiring to look through the stories and list of countries - knowing that someday, I could actually DO THIS. I've got some work to do to be a certified volunteer. But... I've taken the first step. Stay tuned.
Thank you to all of you who have called, emailed, or sent cards. It's nice to be remembered. I'm blessed to have you.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday....miss you - Carrie A.

Susan said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope you had a fabulous day!

Sarah said...

happy birthday!

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

I love this picture. It's funny how Cooper just looks like he's been there forever. Those are just the "Savage Kids" always have been. I love it! Amazing that God of ours...