Friday, September 3, 2010

All Hail the FLOBEE!!!












I've occasionally been accused of being "thrifty." Some would say cheap. Not with all things ... but I try to watch what I can. When we took the move to this area, that skill had to be exercised a bit more regularly as the cost of living is quite a bit higher than the midwest.

So, when I heard that TWO of my neighbors had (and regularly used) the Flobee for cutting their kids' hair ... my ears perked up and the mental calculations of savings started in my head.

When one of those neighbors offered to actually cut the boys' hair using it, I jumped at the chance. After all, what boy wouldn't get a huge KICK out of getting their hair cut with an attachment hooked on to the vaccuum cleaner? Win-win.

The boys went first. I wasn't nervous for them. The neighbor and his son looked pretty good ... and they use it religiously. Then ... you know where this is going ... the GIRLS wanted to use it. You know, my girls with the CURLY hair ... the day before school pictures no less.

I had a bit of a dilemma. I so want to be the kind of parent who lets their kids take adventures - especially the safe kind - like hair. But .. the tiniest bit of me was a wee bit nervous with a vaccuum attachment stuck to the side of Claire's head. Again, my neighbor exuded confidence.

We went for it. All four kids got really good haircuts. The day before pictures. With no appts. For free. And all the hair was sucked into the vaccuum. Claire even wrote about it in Writers Workshop. How often do kids care enough about haircuts to write about them? But it makes me wonder what the teacher thinks of me... as Claire just wrote about the vaccuum part - conveniently forgetting about the "Flobee" part.

I just checked on line. You can still buy them. If you aren't lucky enough to have TWO neighbors that already have them =) A huge thanks to R and R for letting us barge in and take up their evening. The check is in the mail.

3 comments:

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

My kids would think this was AWESOME, but I'm not sure I could let that thing near my own head. Then again, I'm cheap....I mean FRUGAL like you, so maybe I could be convinced...

Susan said...

Didn't know they made these anymore. Did you use it on the dog too?

Myah said...

YOU GUYS ARE NUTS!! :)