Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Terrible Twos....



I admit it. I had forgotten. It has been a while since Claire was two ... and well, she was either easier... or I was so busy with the others that I overlooked some of it.

There is a connection to this boy of mine that is unearthly. It is a powerful and unyielding love that would move mountains. But then, it wouldn't have to. Because he would have already done it. After he threw his cup down the vent, dumped out the dog's water dish, jammed a cheese slice into the VCR player (yep... we still own one), and climbed up onto the kitchen counter. Sigh.

He is busy. He is whiny. He is verbal. He is boundary-pushing. He is HARD. He is two.

Again, there is nothing in the world I wouldn't do for him. But that doesn't mean he's easy. Or that he doesn't wear me out. As my friend Marci said (so wisely) ... "Welcome to the land of the two year old boy... it's been a while since you visited." Indeed. I'm here now ... and afraid I've lost the directions.

There are currently four things that save his life on a daily basis... his nap, moments when he dons a tiara (or other fashion accessory left lying around) and flashes a killer smile, his father coming home from work, and the bond between brothers. Seeing Grayson interact with Cooper tells me all will be well. The bats, the balls, and the bruises is all part of it. Cooper will survive this ... and I will too. I just have to remind Monte to screw down the rest of the air vents.


4 comments:

Myah said...

oh, I LOVE this post! Can you guess why? Yep! I'm am visiting this land too!! :) It is hard. It is exhausting. It is good. :) It will pass. It's amazing how we forget it, right?! I am CONVINCED God ERASES our memories so we'll do it again!

Sarah said...

Heehee. Love this post. Need to come back to your house and we can have fun showing Cooper all of the things that one can still shove down the air vents through the little slats.

Susan said...

That is why God made 2 year olds have cute smiles and great laughs, makes us forget about all the bad things they do.

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

Just a reminder...the land of three year old boys is delightful and torturous all at the same time too, I'd say even more so than two!

Remember Dax sitting on your kitchen floor dumping Wrigley's food and water bowls into each other. He was only visiting for a couple hours.