Friday, August 13, 2010

Magic All Around




I tend to take a "practical" view of most things. There are a few things though ... that are magical.

Every time. Undeniably.

As God would have it, two of those things are happening right now in my house.

Cooper is talking. Phrases. Questions. Statements. Not full conversation ... but he is verbal.

It's exhausting. It's miracuolous. When children learn language ... and start to apply it - it just gives me goosebumps. Spoken language is how we relate to each other. Think of the power of what you say and how you say it. Frightening really ... and God gives this power to a toddler. But He does.

Claire is reading ... and writing. Again ... not full conversations ... but she is learning by leaps and bounds. When she goes through her sight words at night, she sometimes asks me why I tear up.

She isn't impressed by the power of reading yet. But I never fail to be. She doesn't know what kinds of worlds will be opened to her by reading... but I do. She may see reading as a chore ...but I know it's a magical gift. Again ... the power ... given to such a tender age.

Is it louder in my house recently? You bet. Do I sometimes get frazzled and forget to consider myself blessed? Oh yes. But it only takes the evening routine to remind me ... those simple flashcards, simple words written on a whiteboard ... and "night-night Mommy" brings me back to the magic. All around me.

5 comments:

The Sullivan Sitcom said...

Sweet post Amy!

Myah said...

You are right... and I can totally relate... Sophie has absolutely exploded with her reading and writing! She is heading into 1st grade and reading pretty much EVERYTHING! Really!! :) It is magical and such a gift. :) now, just for Ian to talk! love this post!! :)

Unknown said...

What beautiful children--definitely Marshall blood. Miss you. I am with your father, mother and brother in Atlanta rekindling kind thoughts of our family. I love them so much, and I am so comforted to be with them. I can't wait to share your family blog with my family. Love you sweetie, Kevin

P.S., you should seriously think about having more children. You are obviously good at it!

Teresa said...

It's wonderful that the children are doing so well ~ it's truly amazing what a blessing they can be! It's funny how a smile or a little comment can immediately warm your heart and truly make your day as a mom:)

Sarah said...

Darn you making me cry and get all blubbery! And I second what your commented Kevin said. You should consider having more children. Every single one of yours are really something special!