Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Girl Scout Thin Mint Recipe

Dear Friends,
It is only because I love you (and I can no longer make them in knee deep snow with Mary Jo in Wisconsin) that I am imparting to you my GSTM recipe. I regret I no longer have the original... but it was no good anyway. Savage kids, if you save any of my recipes, save this one.

Ingredients - Ghiradelli melting and candymaking chocolate- Sam's is the best place to get this... only available in 2.5 lb blocks at Christmastime. Do NOT get the cheap waxy melting chocolate. It is not worth the effort. Peppermint extract. Get two if you can find them as they sell out this time of year. Ritz crackers. Circles... not snowflake. The corners break off. Low-salt variety is the best but reg is fine too.

Melt choc. slowly in a double boiler. I use a smaller pan inside a big pan filled with water. Do not allow water to boil and stir frequently as you don't want it to scorch. Break 2.5 block into smaller pieces and melt that way. When choc. pot is 3/4 full, take off heat and add 3-4 tsp ppmt extract. Do the taste test. I like mine minty as I find some of the extract evaporates in the heat. Stir well. Put in cracker horizonatally...flip with fork so both sides are covered and take out (with fork) and place on wax paper on cookie sheet. Use wax paper so cookies don't stick. When you have a sheetful, put in freezer or outside for 10-15 minutes until almost (or) frozen. Not only are they easier to deal with when frozen, but they taste better this way... as well GSTM connieseurs know.

Make a bunch and freeze them. They make excellent ice cream sandwiches for summer and I have been known to use some crushed as ice cream topping. If there are any left over that is...

If you make them and love them, let me know. If you don't love them, it must be operator error!

No comments: