Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Letter to Our Kids ...

I don't know what you will remember about this move in the years to come. I imagine some of you will recall a feeling of uncertainty .. and leaving your friends.

I want you to know that we are so insanely proud of you. For your ages, you have weathered this season of change with surprising maturity. I wish I fared so well.

For the record, this move to North Carolina came on the heels of our move to Indiana from Illinois three and a half years ago. It seems like a lot of transition. It is. Especially for a family with four young kids. But ... you are precisely the reason we are doing it. We want things for you ... but not the "things" you accumulate and have to move. We want the things for you that you develop. Insight. Character. Maturity. Coping skills. Education. Experiences that Broaden Your Horizons.

You don't have to move to acquire these skills sets. But in our unique case, GE can help us by being a means to an end. Moving is uncomfortable. Most change is. But it means we learn something new ... and that opens different doors. Our advice to you ... open as many doors as you can. You never know when you may need to knock on one ... or five.

You will need to further your education. I don't know what God plans for each of you. I know this - that it is our job to prepare you the BEST we can. You need to know how big this world is... because by the time you are grown, it will probably be shrinking. We want you to know you can go anywhere and do anything. In order for you to really know that, we need to model that behavior.

It isn't easy. It isn't comfortable. It is necessary. It builds us. We can do it. As long as we are together. Thanks for understanding.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

that is so sweet, i hope that you all will get settled and love NC, I know I loved my 4 years down in Wilmington and would move south again in a heartbeat. will be praying that all 4 children would adjust and grow closer together.