Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The End of An Era ....

starts today. For the first time in 13 years, I do not have a job. I saw my last kiddo today. I thought it best to use next week to try to get the kids (and myself) in the proper mindset for the move to NC. I won't even lie to you about how it went. I got to the car ... then cried.

And so it's gone throughout the day. One moment I am excited about using the time to spend with Cooper ... reading books and doing the shapesorter ... and the next minute I am terrified .. thinking about losing my skills ...missing the work ... and turning into a Facebook junkie.

I am aware of how fortunate I am that I happen to love what I do. I am doubly blessed in that I can do what I love ... part time ... during the hours of my choosing. Few get that chance. Fewer still have gotten what I have from my job. The people ... moments ... and life-changing experiences are indelibly etched into my memory.

I love my life and my kids. I know how many working moms would kill to change places with me. I understand that position. I just know that for me ... my job makes life make more sense. It quite often gives me perspective that I need. It is, quite honestly, my ministry.

So ... the idea of part-time work ... sometime down the road ... is something I would like to pursue. It is the perfect blending of my universes.

But for today, I am going to wipe my tears, sell my riding lawnmower (who needs a John Deere when the lot is smaller than a postage stamp?), and enjoy the homemade cookies I made today.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Hang in there sweet lady! I understand how your work is your ministry...I totally hear you! God knows the desires of your heart and I promise He will put you exactly where you are meant to be:) Right now it's mommy time...a few months from now you may be meeting new and exciting clients and everything will feel as it has fallen into place..just like He knows it will:) Keeping you all close in thoughts and prayers:)