Sunday, November 8, 2009

Ready for Some Football?




There is a new trend on Sunday mornings at our house. Grayson (6) wakes up and immediately comes into our room and asks.... "Mom... it's Sunday. Do you know what that means?"

To which I always respond.... "Yes... two cups of coffee and church."

"AFTER that." It's FOOTBALL day."

Indeed. My deepest apologies to the Creator. It seems that despite years of Sunday School, it appears the "day of rest" shall be henceforth known as "Football Day." I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I'll learning to pick my battles. As long as kickoff starts after the sermon.

I can now tell you that the Mannings are a trifecta in terms of football boys... and I know which teams Peyton and Eli "QB" ( Grayson tells me that's slang for quarterback) for. I also know Cooper (the other Manning) played in college but didn't play pro due to a back injury.

Uh huh. We're crossing off toys from the Christmas list and adding an assortment of NFL and college jerseys. We are no longer inviting the kindergarter neighbor girl over to play dressup (Princess Leia to our Luke Skywalker). Today she wore her "Future Cheerleader" T-shirt and cheered for him politely from the sidelines. They actually held hands walking up to the house. They looked so... teenager. Ish.

My heart skipped a beat and my mind flashed ahead a few years. Gulp.

He and Monte and a neighbor have been outside most of the day... in their football attire.... catching, throwing, running ... and throwing out football terminology. No scratching, spitting or patting each other's butts. Yet. I now only have control of my TV during time-outs and halftimes.

I hope you are ready for some football. I'm warming to the idea. Slowly.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

I totally love it!! Great minds do think alike!! I can tell you are in for many years of Sunday afternoon football ~ I can say it's not such a bad thing AND it's not a bad time if you want to take the girls shopping from time to time. Once the guys start speaking in cave language voices as they are so into the game...that's their blessing that it's ok to go shopping:)

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

I think Finn will be like this...Dax, well, we'll see!

Lily looked over at the pictures of Grayson and asked "How old it he??" She was sure he was still a preschooler...funnu how kids think you don't age after you move!

As for my windows...I have found this is one job Lily likes to do, windows and dusting, so they are (at least the insides) getting done weekly! She thinks of these jobs a reward chores for getting the othrs done...love this find!

Susan said...

Samantha is starting to watch football with Jim and loving her daddy/daughter time! Bonus is I get a lot done on that day.