Saturday, November 7, 2009

Pearls from Mom ...


We've been talking a lot around here about the value of money. While Santa and the elves may have a money tree growing in the backyard... we haven't seen one pop up yet here in Indiana.

Emma has a lot of ideas about "getting a job" when she gets older. I've been instructing (oops - I mean - "gently guiding") her to do something different. Please kids.... don't get jobs.

Here's a pearl. Get a degree. Get a career. Get a passion.

Your choices of career may not be the same as mine or your dad's. In fact, there is a good reason why they shouldn't. Your passion about your career should reflect who you are. What you are good at. What you care deeply about. What you are excited about doing. What you can do for the next fifty years without developing an ulcer.

I've been so fortunate to blend my career with my family. I didn't consider that when I chose my field. Family was NOT on my radar at the time. But I wish someone had advised me to its benefits at that time. Consider the ability to work part-time. You may not ever chose to. That's OK. But I guarantee you will appreciate having the choice.

You have to love it. Ideally, it should give back to you as much as you give to it. Rare? Maybe. Dig deep. You'll find it. Ask me for examples. If you glow telling stories about your work... you've chosen the right thing. It's all about making connections. The personal ones.

Let me be clear. Money is not the defining factor. If your passion calls you to teach, teach. If it calls you to run a business... do it. If you are a stay at home parent... make it your calling.

I hope you can witness moments that help define you. Grow you. Touch you. Make you want to be a better person. And know when you haven't been all you could have been. It's a pretty big decision. Take the time. We'll help.






1 comment:

Teresa said...

Oh my dear those are such excellent pearls of wisdom! I "had" to read the book 48 Days to the Work You Love while working on my BSN ~ it was one of the BEST books I've ever read. The author talks about how a true vocation is a calling, a voice from within guiding you to do what you are truly passionate about. I was called into nursing by God after Jordan was born ~ I let him know he had chosen the wrong girl and I wasn't interested...luckily my creator knew me well and was patient while I told him no daily for three months...then I finally gave in and took two classes...the rest is history and I couldn't be happier as a nurse. Everyone is called to be their own person an do their own thing. I couldn't agree more, choose something you love doing ~ it won't feel like work and the rewards will be greater than any paycheck you may receive!