Sunday, April 5, 2009

Glimpses

So... Emma can read ... really well. And she can pull up our blog with no assistance. And read it.

So...she wasn't too keen on the last post regarding spring break. After my explanations of "sarcasm" and "journalistic license," I told her I'd apologize. Sorry Em. (But I'll still be waiting at the bus stop with a big smile on my face tomorrow morning.)

The REAL story about spring break came in glimpses. Because we did a "staycation," this week, I was able to really spend some quality time with the kids. We got a chance to concentrate on some new skills that gave this mama a bit of bragging rights. And I caught some glimpses of the new and exciting impending new stages in their lives.

For a girl who honestly doesn't care what kind of disastrous state her room is in, Emma is really turning out to be a TREMENDOUS help in the babysitting department. She is very responsible with Cooper on a daily basis...and she showed extraordinary care and attention when watching our dear friend Hannah Claire this weekend. Watching her balance Cooper on one hip or explaining potential dangers to the younger ones makes me unconsciously flash forward to when moms (like me now) are calling her to babysit. I think she'll be ready. And I'll be honored.

Glimpses.

Grayson is leaping tall buildings in a single bound. Really. He's riding with bike with no training wheels like he's done it his entire life. This skills has led to some incredible bike rides - just he and I. The talks we have when it's just us ... and the way he stops his bike to pick up a worm on the sidewalk and throw him back into the grass ("because that's where his family is")....melts my heart. He's also reading. Entire books. At night now he often reads to me ... it's hard to tell who is prouder. But I know it's me.

Glimpses.

Claire is most content to be here at home. With me. Doing her favorite things. In her comfort zone. Lately though ... she's expanding that zone. Slowly. As is her way. In ways I don't think she'll notice. But she does. Several nights this week I've overheard her telling Blue Bear (her lovey since she was two weeks old), "Today I _____ and I was scared... but I did it!" You go girl.

Glimpses.

Cooper. I'm trying hard to pay attention and commit it all to memory. His babyhood is so precious...and he's moving incredibly quickly toward toddlerhood. I'm getting glimpses of his "boy face" this week in his profile ... or when he's sleeping on his side ... just like his brother. Each phase only lasts so long ... and as parents, we are always excited and sad to see one end and another begin.

I mentioned Hannah earlier. We got to spend some time with her yesterday while her parents attended a function. We hadn't seen her in a while and she'd really changed. That fast.

Her parents are seeing glimpses of impending changes in their baby girl. Click here to read about it. If you know me at all, it will make you laugh outloud. Because the baby whisperer probably never has to apologize to her eight year old daughter for being sarcastic on her blog.