Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Dear Emma... A Letter on Your 10th Birthday....











Ten years ago today... almost to the minute I sit down to write this, we welcomed you into our lives. You showed your personality early (spunky, verbal, inquisitive...and a bit stubborn) and it remains true to this day. We thought we were proud of you then....we are more so now.

I thought I'd take a minute to sit down and scribble out who you are today. While I imagine your core personality won't change so much in the years to come, it is just as much for me as it is you. Time seems to be flying so quickly...it helps to just "freeze" a few moments in time.

Today, you take piano lessons. You play in the bell choir at church and can't wait to become eligible for the youth group. You enjoy girl scouts and your troop and have asked to go to horse camp with friends here in North Carolina.

Today, you still enjoy swim teams and want to try volleyball when you are able to. Outside is still your preferred location over anywhere else. Beachside with a book is your ideal vacation spot.

Today, you are creative. You love to paint, draw, sew, design and write. You recently started a blog all by yourself. You've asked for a mannequin that you can dress with all sorts of homemade clothes you design and sew. I'm so glad you don't need my help for that. I couldn't help you even if you needed it.

Today, you are a tremendous help with your siblings and they all look to you for support and encouragement. You are a good friend. You keep your sibling and friends close to you. You choose to keep connections dynamic and open. Your "family" is large and in many states. I think that's an amazing position to be in... and I will do whatever I can to help nurture those relationships.

Today, your party was requested to be "intimate... with international flair." We took five of your friends to The Melting Pot in Durham for cheese and chocolate fondue with a sleepover at our house. It was a fantastic time!

Today, we wish you a fantastic birthday and all the best wishes for your ten year old year.


Love,
Mom

6 comments:

Teresa said...

Absolutely beautiful!!! I can't believe she is ten already!!!

xxx said...

Oh, I really wish my Mum would have done something like that for me. I'm 20 now and I wish I could remember how everything was like when I was ten. Good idea! :)

Elise said...

happy birthday to the sweet girl! :D

Paige said...

This is an awesome idea! I love it! And happy birthday! :)

Anonymous said...

Follow my blog if you interested in meditation, affirmations & new consciousness. I am visionary, clairvoyant, working with Angels healer, I love to channel ascendent masters, God, Jesus & other wonderful beings. By the way Your children are beautiful. Many blessings for You and your family.

Rahmawaty dg matara said...

hehehee..
good the post...:)