Thursday, July 17, 2008

Emma and Sam Go Overnighting


So ... Emma and Samantha have been attending Girl Scout Camp all week. They both did it last year (not the same camp) so they believe they are old pros. It is a loooong week for young 7 year olds. They have to be on the bus at 8:00 am and don't get off the bus until 5:00 pm. As the week draws to a close, they are tired girls. So, I was hesitant when they wanted to do the optional overnight tonight.


By all accounts, it really should be a blast for them. It involves a swimming hole (yep, no pool - a real swimming hole), campfire with cook your own fare, campfire songs, and spending the night in a platform tent. Oh - and no indoor plumbing. They have been using the "greenies" all week so they are used to them. Just not in the dark. This required some really careful prep work this morning before they left.


This may be routine talk for some more experienced camping moms but it really took a while to get it drilled into Emma's head. I had to break it down into a few steps before she got all the components.

Me - "OK - When you wake up in the middle of the night and have to go to the bathroom, what do you need to do?"

Emma - " Get my flashlight and my shoes, wake up Samantha and go down the trail to the greenie."


As you can see, they were all set to go bright and early this morning. The moms didn't look so certain. It is a looong time to be without Emma. For me anyway. I wish I could just call and see how things are going. But - I'll hold out - she warned me not to embarrass her anyway.


2 comments:

Rebecca Lily said...

Oh, that must be hard sending her off to camp!! I haven't done that with my kiddos yet... I think I will be a mess when I finally do.

I think Emma will handle herself just great. :)

Rebecca

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

Oh, that all just makes her seem SOOO grown up!