Thursday, October 7, 2010

Outer Banks Trip ... Part One











I have long loved the Outer Banks. It is natural, beautiful, and has plenty of history. Since we are now so much closer, we thought the kids should see it. It was also timely as Emma's social studies class is studying the lighthouses. What better way to study them?
We rented a beach house in Corolla. Good friends Janet and Tony drove all the way from Illinois to join us. We were just coming off a tremedous vacation in Fort Wayne and were hoping the beach would distract the kids (and me) from missing our friends.

We wanted to see the wild horses (only a mile or two up the road) but weather prohibited it this time. In fact, weather threatened to prohibit most of the planned events as tropical storm Nicole rolled through. But ... we did it all anyway. We swam, we beached it (when it wasn't raining ... and even when it was), we collected shells, we hot tubbed, and we ghost crabbed with a delightful family from a neighboring state. We saw lighthouses, ate Duck Donuts (legendary), researched area wildlife and history, rocked in Nags Head Hammocks, adopted hermit crabs and flew a kite. We searched for wild horses and passed the spot where the Wright brothers first flew at Kitty Hawk. We had really yummy fish tacos too.

Best of all, we enjoyed the company of some lifelong friends as well as each other. As we left, the kids were asking when we could come back again ... and bring more friends. Soon I hope.

It is soul stirring to see the kids falling in love with the ocean. It never fails to take my breath away or to quiet my racing mind. I am glad they feel small in the midst of it. I am thankful they realize its Creator and theirs. I am ecstatic they always choose it instead of an amusement park.

I haven't told them they have only seen half of the Outer Banks. I'll just keep that part a secret for now...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hannah just named all of your kids names while I read this post. :) Miss you guys! So glad to hear that you had a great time!