Sunday, April 11, 2010

Big News....

It's been a while since I have taken a minute to put thoughts down in any kind of format. But the dust is starting to clear a little ... the kids are all updated ... so it's time to share.

We are relocating to North Carolina for Monte's next role with GE. Raleigh-Durham area to be exact ... so if anyone is intimately familiar with that area and can answer the MILLION questions I have, please let me know. Monte will be reporting there May 3 ... so that leaves us precious little time to prepare the house for sale, complete all the necessary paperwork, look for a home there, etc. While we are excited for the new opportunity, we are all a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Telling the kids was difficult... but we had been very upfront and honest with them about the whole process from the beginning so the surprise element was not a factor. There were a few tears shed while they processed missing their neighbors, teachers, schools, and friends. But we were surprised at how resilient they continue to be. While it certainly shakes up their world for a bit, the kids have learned some great strategies for coping with change. I guess that's one of the upsides.

So... we are trying to focus on those "upsides" now. Weather, proximity to the Outer Banks (one of my favorite places on earth), the number of universities nearby, and a number of cool things to do. It helps to not dwell on all the things, people, and experiences we are going to miss.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

And so... the next chapter begins. :) Exciting stuff.

Are the kids going to finish out the school year?

We need a girl's night out with Margaritas before you move. You can't go without margaritas with me, okay? :)

Sarah said...

Raleigh-Durham is AWESOME! I have friends who live down there and can pass on their info to you and I can tell you what I know. I live about 2.5 hours north of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill. e-mail me lifewithlance@gmail.com

Sarah said...

oh yeah and some others
you can make a day of the beach, some of the beaches North and South of Wilmington are in my opinion better than over crowded OBX
in state North Carolina colleges are very inexpensive
there is a great HUGE consignment sale 2x a year
the NC ZOO, the largest in the country is 1.5 away
there is a great children's museum
I could go on, but I won't

Teresa said...

North Carolina ~ oh Amy it is BEAUTIFUL there ~ absolutley gorgeous!!! You will be close to the beach which is one of my favorite places too, the country is just beautiful and yes the universities are great there as well!! As we love going to Myrtle Beach and the Carolinas I don't have a doubt that our paths may cross close to the new home God is calling you too!!! I will totally miss being a Hoosier yet I know without a doubt you will just be an email / blog away!!! Your in our prayers during this transition!!

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

How awesome for you guys! Sounds like a great adventure. I'm sure you are up to your chin in preparations....hope all is going smoothly!

Susan said...

EXCITING!!! I heard through the grapevine that you guys were moving and was waiting for you to put something up. I am jealous, I want to be in the Carolinas! The weather, the things to do, close to beach and you can go to the mountains and did I mention weather! LOL Who knows maybe next year when we move we might be close to you, you never know where GE will put you!